The Williamsport Bureau of Police K9 Corps was established in 1979 through the efforts of the city’s then Public Safety Director John McDermott and Officer Gary Mayers, who was the Bureau’s first K-9 Officer. Through a grant provided by the American Legion Post #1, a German shepherd named “Red” was purchased and both Officer Mayers and K9 Red were sent off for training.
Although this was the first "official" K9 partnership in the bureau’s history, records show that in 1921 there was an officer who did patrol the streets of Williamsport with a K-9 partner. Officer Charles Clay used his German shepherd named “Beppo” to assist him with arrests while performing his normal duties.
Since the establishment of the Police K-9 Corps, the bureau has had fourteen police officer handlers with a total of nineteen K-9 partners. The Bureau of Police does not operate a K9 unit at this time.